Blizzard has revealed the details for the next patch to hit Overwatch, at least for testing on the Public Test Region, and there’s plenty of tweaks and changes incoming – and one terrifying buff that could see Bastion become the horrific threat he was prior to Overwatch’s launch.
Before we detail the character changes, the patch is also introducing two new features: a server browser, for players to better team up with their friends and play on custom servers, and a new game mode, Capture The Flag.
CTF has long been a staple for multiplayer gaming, but it was not added to Overwatch initially. Whether the game will work well with the mode it’s hard to say, since the game typically relies on regular re-positioning, whether that’s chasing a moving convoy in Escort or the switching control points in Assault and Control.
Still, it’s always nice to see new game modes added to team-based games, and maybe we’ll see the mode enter official tournaments.
Alongside a number of bug fixes to Overwatch, Blizzard has also balanced the map Eichenwalde to allow for the Offense side to
But, on to the character changes, and it’s worth noting that an overarching theme of some changes allows for refined control over healing options by giving the player the choice over healing abilities and their sensitivity to better target the ally they’re aiming for.
So, here we go:
- Nano Boost Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of Nano Boost.
Scary to think that Bastion will be getting a significant buff, but since he’s dropped out of play over the months since the game’s release it’s not a surprise. Blizzard suggests these tweaks are to strengthen Bastion’s Recon configuration and make Sentry mode better at defence and defeating tanks and shields. But what’s really worrying is that Bastion will now receive 35% less damage when in Sentry mode: gulp.
- Configuration: Sentry
- Deploy time decreased from 1.5 seconds to 1.0 second
- Bullet spread increased by 50 percent
- Bullet spread is always at maximum (it no longer increases as the weapon is fired)
- Magazine size increased from 200 to 300
- Headshot damage multiplier has been removed
- No longer deals critical damage
- Configuration: Recon
- Bullet spread decreased by 25 percent
- Magazine size increased from 20 to 25
- Can now be used while moving
- Now bound to secondary fire (formerly Ability 2)
- No longer interrupted by taking damage
- A new resource meter has been added that deplete while Self-Repair is active and recharges when not in use
- Configuration: Tank
- No longer grants bonus armor
- Bastion has a new passive: Ironclad
- Bastion takes 35% less damage while in Sentry or Tank configuration
Only one change here, but it’s fairly significant in that it now affects the way Defense Matrix blocks projectiles. Specifically, a projectile doesn’t need to have travelled a certain distance to get blocked by the shield.
- Defense Matrix
- Projectiles (like Roadhog’s Chain Hook or Tracer’s Pulse Bomb) no longer need to travel a minimum distance before they can be blocked
- Mei can now be targeted by allies while in Cryo-Freeze
These are mostly changes that will make Mercy easier to heal, alongside across-the-board tweaks to targeting sensitivity. Resurrect, however, will now feel less like a sacrifice than it was before.
- While performing a resurrection, Mercy now becomes temporarily invulnerable along with the allies being revived
- Caduceus Staff
- Zenyatta can no longer be targeted when Transcendence is active
- New Hero Option: Guardian Angel Sensitivity
- Allows players to adjust Guardian Angel’s targeting sensitivity
- New Hero Option: Beam Sensitivity
- Allows players to adjust targeting sensitivity on Mercy’s Caduceus Staff beams
- Hack Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of hack.
- Rivet Gun
- Ammo is now loaded earlier in the reload animation
- Grappling Hook Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of Grappling Hook.
- Projected Barrier Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of Projected Barrier.
- Harmony Orb Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of Harmony Orb.
- Discord Orb Sensitivity: Option for players to control targeting sensitivity of Discord Orb.